Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We took our 6 yr old pug to VSH sunday cause she was having…

Customer Question
We took our 6 yr...
We took our 6 yr old pug to VSH sunday cause she
was having trouble with urinating. They did xrays and discovered
she had bladder stones. He gave her hydromorphone to help
her pain overnight, she was dead the next morning. She was
panting and had hard time breathing when we took her in and
we believe this lowered her breathing abilities even more.
what is your opinion on this. thank u
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/2/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Jess K, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am so sorry to hear about your pug! Did she stay in the hospital overnight? or was she at home? Do they have someone on staff 24 hours? Did she have any underlying health problems? Heart issues or endocrine diseases?

No she went to emergency room
For stone on bladder they released her
And gave her this injection for pain
So we could have out own vet do
Surgery next day

So she died at home then? Did you witness her death? Had they done any bloodwork or anything on her?

Did she have any other health problems?

I did she died in car at 7*****to vet for surgery she dedicated in car and
Then she stopped breathing

I am so sorry to hear this. If she had the injection the night before, it is unlikely that would still be in her system the next morning. It usually lasts 2 to 6 hours. Hydromorphone can cause some respiratory depression, but is more concerning in this manner in dogs that are already under anesthesia, or dogs that have underlying health conditions, such as kidney disease, heart arrhythmias, endocrine disease (thyroid or adrenal problems), head injuries, or respiratory disease. It is possible your dog could have had some unknown underlying health problem.

She was non responsive from 5 am on
She got home from emergency room at 1:00 am so we actually do no know
Time of death

Ok. I am sorry, I thought you said she died at 7AM on the way to the office. If she wasn't really supervised from the time she got home from the emergency room, then it is hard for me to say what the cause could have been,without really knowing the timeline and how she was acting leading up the the event. Did the emergency vet empty her bladder for her?

Bloodwork was excellent
Her bladder was not enlarged,
Her breathing was labored that
Was the main reason we took her in at 9:00
On Sunday nite and we told vet she had
Labored breathing

Ok. I am sorry, I thought that you brought her in for trouble urinating.

Did they do x-rays of her chest?

We took her on for trouble urinating they
Dis X-rays and found stones!!! He said
Her lungs were clear

Unfortunately I don't think you are going to get a definite answer on her cause of death then without doing a necropsy. Perhaps there was some underlying heart condition.

If the x-rays of her lungs were clear, then I am guessing that the emergency vet suspected the panting was due to pain from the bladder stones causing trouble urinating. An injection of a pain medication such as hydromorphone wouldn't be unreasonable if they felt she was very painful, and if they had ruled out other health problems. It is too bad she didn't stay in the emergency hospital overnight for nonstop observation, because it may have given more information on when and what exactly happened. Unfortunately we cannot go back and change what has occurred, and I am sure your heart is broken. I think if you want a definite answer on the cause of her death, then a necropsy is needed, but given her history, I don't think what the emergency vet did (the injection) was unreasonable.

I truly believer he injection killed her

I am not sure what else to tell you. It is possible that the injection could have depressed her respiration. Pugs are also a breed of dog that can develop respiratory difficulty. She also could have had an underlying heart condition or something like an elongated soft palate that could have made respiration difficult once on the medication. That being said, at an appropriate dose, the drug in most dogs wouldn't cause a problem. It is also possible she had an allergic reaction to the drug. Any dog can have a reaction to a new drug they haven't had before and we cannot predict this. As I said, it is unfortunate she wasn't observed the entire time. I don't know if the emergency vet recommended she stay for observation or not, but if she became unresponsive, they may have been able to revive her. I am truly sorry for your loss.

Please let me know if you have any other questions today. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question.I am so sorry for your loss and the pain you must be feeling at the unexpected event. It is always hard to lose a pet, but seems more unfair when it comes in a younger dog we aren't expecting to lose quite so early.