Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We adopted our Great ***** ***** in late September 2016.

Customer Question
We adopted our Great...

We adopted our Great ***** ***** in late September 2016. About 2 months ago we took her into the vet because her front left paw and about 1/3 up her leg was very swollen and she had a 104 temp. After a CBC and xrays were done, the vet couldn't find any problems but put her on antibiotics, benadryl and prednisolone 20 mg. In about the 3-4 day her paw and leg were pretty much back to normal size but we finished out the meds and all was well until this morning. This morning it's the same thing all over again except it's her right paw and leg this time. Again, off to the vet we go. This time the vet only put her on the benadryl and prednisolone. Our vet told us she will call us in the morning after she did some research tonight. Can you shed some light on what's going on with her. Anything we should be looking for?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Other then that it seems to be painful for her to walk on and the affected does not feel mushy but a bit warm.... no. Oh she just turned 3 in December.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/2/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your girl has had a couple episodes of soft tissue swelling of her feet, and fever.

If it was the same foot I would think that this could be related to a localized bacterial infection, possibly related to a foreign body (plant awn, sliver) trapped in the soft tissue of her foot. That would explain her good response to anti-inflammatories and antibiotics. But then I would not expect this to affect another leg.

The other possibility is Lyme disease, as that can affect different legs, and if not treated with the correct antibiotic for a long enough period could reflare. However usually Lyme disease causes joint swelling rather than soft tissue swelling. To be thorough I would recommend testing her for tick borne diseases.

Perhaps this is related to an allergic reaction, which would explain why your veterinarian prescribed an antihistamine (Benadryl) and a steroid (prednisolone).

It is also possible though that this is related to some sort of primary autoimmune mediated response (body attacks itself), such as idiopathic polyarthritis or systemic lupus. These won't cause changes that we can see radiographically, which would explain her normal radiographs, and would respond to anti-inflammatory doses of steroids.

At this point since she has started steroids it may be more difficult to get a diagnosis, but to rule out infectious causes or metabolic disease leading to tissue swelling I would recommend a complete blood count, biochemistry profile and urinalysis along with a tick disease panel.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful please remember to rate my response positively so I may receive credit for my work thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian