Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog had diarrhea all night and when i walked her she

Customer Question
Hi! My name is*****...

Hi! My name is***** dog had diarrhea all night and when i walked her she tried pooping but couldn't get anything out and make strange noises as if she was in pain. She hasn't eaten her food very quickly, but ate some. She also was eager to play when I offered. Do I need to take her to the ER? Is she ok? Could we wait until the morning?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Yes she is an 11 year old papillon

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/2/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Jess K, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog! Most likely the straining was due to the irritation of her colon due to the diarrhea. Sometimes dogs who are having a severe bout of diarrhea will experience the feeling that they have to have a bowel movement but nothing will come out because they have already pooped everything out!

Is your dog still energetic? Does she seem weak at all? Any vomiting? If you look at her gums are they pink and moist?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian