Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Just came home and found my Chi's front tooth is loose. She…

Customer Question
Just came home and...

Just came home and found my Chi's front tooth is loose. She can eat and seems in no pain. What should I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Razz and 9

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Razz?

Overweight and hates to have her teeth brushed so she gets dental sticks.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/2/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Doc Sara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Razz's front tooth is loose. I'm glad to hear that she doesn't appear to be in any pain, though. I'll do my best to help.

Dental disease is very common in dogs to be sure. It's not unusual at all for us to see mobile "loose" incisors in pets. It's something that takes awhile to develop as infection in the bone around the tooth root causes loss of the periodontal tissues that hold the teeth in. It's not urgent as long as she continues to eat well and doesn't seem to be in any discomfort - there is really nothing that you need to do urgently at home. All you need to do is call your veterinarian as soon as you're able so that they can get her set up to have it taken care of. I very rarely actually tug on or try to pull a tooth that is loose without at least some sedation. Those teeth are usually much more difficult to remove than you'd expect and tugging on them really only stresses the pet out unnecessarily. Please let me know if I can answer any questions for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)