Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Woh.. Dog is coughing constantly, and started coughing up

Customer Question

Woh..Hi.. Dog is coughing constantly, and started coughing up little bits of clear liquid Black Lab Mix. 10 Months Old. Bordetella Shot already
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Still actively moving around. She just cant stop coughing. This is day 3 and the liquid coming up just started. Was thinking it was just something caught in her throat
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is it fair the clear liquid is coming out from the forceful hacking?

2- How much does she weigh?

3- Is she eating and drinking?

4- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the clear liquid is 100% from the hacking
She weighs 55lbs
Yes, eating and drinking as normal.
Luckily no other symptoms. Excited to Play and Walk as normal.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, the hacking you are describing is consistent with an upper respiratory infection. Even though she was vaccinated against Kennel Cough there are many other viruses or bacteria that we don't vaccinate against. The forceful hacking/gagging is secondary to the inflammation in the upper airway and often will lead to vomiting.

In this case, I would recommend a hands on exam with family vet to listen to her lungs. In addition, she may need oral antibiotics. In the meantime you can start her on Robitussin DM (cough) 1 teaspoon every 6-8 hours. You can buy Robitussin DM over the counter in any pharmacy. Make sure the Robitussin has No pseudoephedrine. Limit physical activity (no running) as this will promote the hacking/gagging.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter