Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Woh.. Dog is coughing constantly, and started coughing up…

Customer Question
Woh..Hi.. Dog is coughing...

Woh..Hi.. Dog is coughing constantly, and started coughing up little bits of clear liquid Black Lab Mix. 10 Months Old. Bordetella Shot already

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Still actively moving around. She just cant stop coughing. This is day 3 and the liquid coming up just started. Was thinking it was just something caught in her throat

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/2/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is it fair the clear liquid is coming out from the forceful hacking?

2- How much does she weigh?

3- Is she eating and drinking?

4- Any other symptoms?

the clear liquid is 100% from the hacking
She weighs 55lbs
Yes, eating and drinking as normal.
Luckily no other symptoms. Excited to Play and Walk as normal.

Friend, the hacking you are describing is consistent with an upper respiratory infection. Even though she was vaccinated against Kennel Cough there are many other viruses or bacteria that we don't vaccinate against. The forceful hacking/gagging is secondary to the inflammation in the upper airway and often will lead to vomiting.

In this case, I would recommend a hands on exam with family vet to listen to her lungs. In addition, she may need oral antibiotics. In the meantime you can start her on Robitussin DM (cough) 1 teaspoon every 6-8 hours. You can buy Robitussin DM over the counter in any pharmacy. Make sure the Robitussin has No pseudoephedrine. Limit physical activity (no running) as this will promote the hacking/gagging.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian