Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our lab whelped last Thursday. We were told that she was due…

Customer Question
Our lab whelped last Thursday...
Our lab whelped last Thursday. We were told that she was due March 1, but was five days early. The vet did an ultrasound and thought that she would have 8 puppies, but didn't guarantee anything since it was an ultrasound and not an xray. She delivered 6 puppies. She is acting really antsy, shredding things, and her bleeding has picked up. Any thoughts?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/1/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your girl seems off post-whelping, with increased anxious behavior and bleeding.

Pregnancy length is variable in dogs, normal can be 62-75 days, so her early delivery isn't necessarily a big deal if all pups were born mature enough and are thriving (eating well, gaining weight, not crying a lot).

It may be that she is a nervous first time bitch, and perhaps there is too much activity going on around her so she feels unsettled. Increased activity and anxiety will increase her blood pressure and that can increase bleeding.

But it may also be that she didn't deliver all of her pups for some reason (uterine inertia, very large puppy, dead puppy) and that is something that should be looked into.

If she were my girl I'd have her examined and get an abdominal radiograph to make sure there aren't any remaining pups or signs of a brewing post-whelping infection.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you found my response helpful, please don't forget to rate it so I may receive credit for it, Dr. Kara.

All seems fine. Thanks for checking in.

I am glad to hear that she is well. It sounds like she was just a nervous mama that got her blood pressure up with increased nesting activity. Please let me know if you have any further questions, Dr. Kara.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian