Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog won't eat and is throwing up yellowish bile. She lives with my daughter and her husband who was recently deployed

Customer Question
She won't eat and...

She won't eat and is throwing up yellowish bile. She lives with my daughter and her husband who was recently deployed with the military. She is 8 years old and is a Schnoodle. The vet in NC has done blood work and thought it was anxiety since she has had a number of changes in the last year. He then added Zantac for possible reflux but she still won't eat anything but grass. When she was a puppy, we had to visit the emergency vet because she had a blockage due to overeating. Could there be some kind of blockage?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Sorry for the delay. This has been going on for several weeks. She is lethargic and won't eat. My daughter has been cooking chicken for her and sometimes she will take a few bites. Yesterday she ate nothing and drank a little water. My daughter is taking her back to the vet today and he plans to do additional blood work but apparently we are missing something. I thought another opinion might be helpful so here I am.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/1/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for the question.

I would do some x-rays at this point to look for an obstruction. If she's obstructed, then surgery will be needed to relieve the obstruction. If the x-rays are clean, then I would hospitalize her on IV fluids and put a tube into the nose down to the stomach to start trickle feeding a protein dense liquid (clinicare). This will get the gut moving and hopefully stimulate her appetite.

If she continues to vomit with anti-nausea meds and trickle feeding, then I would do an exploratory surgery to look for an obstruction or mass or IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) that may not show up on x-rays. If nothing is found at surgery, we take biopsy samples to tell for sure what's going on in the gut.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian