Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a healthy six and a half pound 8 year old female

Customer Question

I have a healthy six and a half pound 8 year old female Pomeranian she got a hold of a stool softener compared to colace active ingredient it looks like it's a two piece gel on one side solid on the other I'm concerned that perhaps she might have punctured the gel side enough to cause a little leakage before I got it away from her she had possession of the pill for 15 to 30 seconds only and then comparing of that pill with another untouchable and it's really hard to tell the two of them apart but I know that one side leaks easily because I tried it in my pill splitter earlier in the week and it took no pressure at all before I had a mess. So I guess my question is do you think she would have gotten enough to cause her any problems is her digestive tract strong enough to counteract anything I'm not worried about getting doggie Doo at the house if thats the only problem I'll welcome it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 1 year ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H.

It seems that Autumn is quite the curious dog and likes to get into things. Typically pets do ok with accidental ingestion of stool softeners, may human products are used in dogs with constipation issues.

However do you have the brand name of the product she got into, I will double check my resources for any known toxicities associated with the drug?

Thanks

- Dr. H