Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** and im worried about my dog. she may

Customer Question
or may not have eaten...
my name is ***** ***** and im worried about my dog. she may or may not have eaten small plastic bag. we dont know for sure. but now she is panting a little more than normal.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: thats all i know. someone else was watching her. she is a larger mixed breed dog. about 70 pounds and the bag is the size of a smaller bread bag. it was sometime this afternoon.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/1/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello and thanks for requesting me,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. In most cases it is better not to recover non food items such as plastic bags which have been swallowed by inducing vomiting because of the danger of choking. So the best advice is often to wait and see how things go, your dog may well pass this object, and it is very much to your advantage that you have a larger dog. The chances are that the slight panting you have noted is not significant at present.

2. However be aware that though unlikely there is a potential for a problem to occur here. So monitor her carefully for symptoms such as vomiting, lethargy, anorexia, abdominal pain or straining and if such occur contact your vet without delay. The danger of course is that this object could cause an intestinal tract blockage or other damage to the intestinal tract. Where a blockage is confirmed then surgery is often your best option.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the plastic bag ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian