Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog gave birth to 3 pups last night,but she's panting. Is this normal for her to be panting/ She isn't making any

Customer Question
She gave birth to...

She gave birth to 3 pups last night,but she's panting.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

Is this normal for her to be panting/

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

She isn't making any noise,just panting.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

No,not really

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is the dog eating normally?

Yes & drinking normally

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. Is the dog having trouble peeing or pooing?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious problems there. How is the dog behaving differently?

Nothing,except panting.She's asleep now with the pups,but her breathing is rapid

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Ewok & ,a year old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ewok?

She's a Pomeranian

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/1/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 2 years ago
Drhollowayvet

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H.

I am sorry no was available to take your question and I just got online to help customers for the night.

I am concerned about your pets panting episodes. For newly nursing dogs panting can be a sign of Eclampsia (low calcium). This is because of the increased demand of the puppies on her body when they nurse. If she continues to pant for more than 30 mins- 1hr, then a vet visit is recommended to check her calcium levels and ensure they are normal. If she is truly Eclampsic it can be a life threatening thing if she continues to nurse and does not receive proper treatment.

- Dr. H