Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

OUr elderly dog is trying to vomit, but there is nothing…

Customer Question
OUr elderly dog is...

OUr elderly dog is trying to vomit, but there is nothing coming up. She hasn't eaten all day, and part of yesterday. Her breathing is labored and she is very uncomfortable.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Libby is 15 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Libby?

She has signs of cancer in her right front leg. Her regular doctor saw it in a xray, saying it looked like cancer to him but that he could not confirm it. We did not take her to a specialist. Libby also suffers from frequent heartburn. We give her antacids daily but she did not have any today.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/1/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Has she had her antacid now?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, distension, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Has she had any diarrhea?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?