Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog she sluggish and won't respond when I call her and…

Customer Question
My dog she sluggish and...
My dog she sluggish and won't respond when I call her and her tongue is cold
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/1/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. While Mimi's symptoms are important they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder. Her tongue temperature isn't a good indication of her core temperature. You'll need to take her rectal temperature with any body thermometer placed 1" into her rectum for 1 minute. Normal is 100.5-102.5F. Please also check her gum and tongue color. They should be nicely pink - not whitish (anemia) or bluish/greyish (cyanosis/hypoxia/lack of blood to her tissues). Please also check her respiratory rate at rest. She should be taking less than 40 breaths/minute at rest. If any of these vital signs are abnormal, it would be best that you take Mimi to an on-call/ER vet at your earliest convenience. Please give me an update on Mimi.