Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Will it kill a small dog if it eat one of those silicone…

Customer Question
Will it kill a small...
Will it kill a small dog if it eat one of those silicone packets that comes in your shoes. I gave hydrogen peroxide but no throw up yet
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/1/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

If you are referring to a silica gel pack (like the kind used to keep moisture out of things like beef jerky or dog treats but also can be in shoes and other household items), then you're in luck. They are not toxic, so any portion that she ate should pass with no problems. They have to put a disclaimer on the package so children do not eat it and choke on it. It has to be food safe since it is put in with jerky as well as other food sources.

You should be able to see on the packet what the ingredients are if you still have the packet itself...

The only think I would be concerned with is a blockage if your dog is a small breed dog and had ingested the entire packet but since that is not the case we should be just fine :)

Watch for vomiting, diarrhea, constipation and abdominal distress which can be signs of a blockage in the intestines if more was ingested than originally believed. If you see any of these signs, you need to get her to a vet for an x-ray and possible surgical removal of the packet. But since this seems to be a small amount ingested our concern for obstruction is very minimal...

I hope this helps but please let me know how else I can assist you both today! I am online just a few more moments this evening...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Good morning, I wanted to check in on Weezye to see if you had any questions on my responses a few days ago? Also how is she doing? I would love an update when you are able...
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Weezye. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian