Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a two year old beagle mix. About three weeks ago we

Customer Question
Hi there. I have a...
Hi there. I have a two year old beagle mix. About three weeks ago we got her from a rescue shelter, we noticed she had kennel cough and took her to a vet. They tested her for a series of infections related to k9 flu and they came back negative. Since Sunday morning we noticed her energy has been up and down. She is eating and drinking less and has vomited twice. What do you think? Also, the vet gave us antihistamines.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/1/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

My initial thought was that Hannah has been taking quite a few antibiotics which are likely to have caused a dysbiosis (imblance in gastrointestinal flora) and her GI distress. Can you tell me the antibiotics that had been prescribed and if she's currently being administered one?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She was not on any antibiotics of my knowledge. The vet we took her to gave her antihistamines.

Thank you for the additional information. An antihistamine is generally contraindicated in kennel cough patients because its drying effect can exacerbate the cough. Antihistamines are also sedative. I would consider stopping its administration and see if Hannah perked up. I'm concerned about her inappetence and vomiting, however. That's not consistent with respiratory infection nor antihistamine usage. Those are improtant symptoms but they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. Please let her vet know what you're seeing. Presumptive worming may be recommended predicated upon Hannah being in a rescue shelter. You may also elect to worm with an over the counter product containing either pyrantel pamoate or fenbendazole - both which are available in many pet/feed stores.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She has heart worm medication and was tested negative by a vet when she was in the shelter. She hasn't lost her appetite for table food, which we do not give her, but for her food. We were directed to give her the antihistamines as needed, we had 7 pills and are down to one. Today, her energy was normal and she tried to chase a few squirrels. She has not vomited since. My wife and I have decided to take her to the vet this weekend after watching her patterns. Do you think we should go sooner? What's your opinion?

She has an appetite; it's just selective at this time. Her energy level is normal and she isn't vomiting anymore. I don't see a reason to go sooner. I might search for a dog food she prefers, however.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian