Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a lab which is 9 years old. when I take her to the

Customer Question
Hello, I have a lab...
Hello, I have a lab which is 9 years old. For years when I take her to the park every once in a while on the way home she would start Excessive drooling like a faucet with running water was turned on. This would last about 3 to 4 hours. This only happened once in a while and I ask my vet about it and we just think it was some sort of allergies or she eat something durning out walk. Now that she is 9 this has gotten so bad I can not even take her for a walk around our neighborhood with out this happening. It has also gotten worse and shes seems like shes in pain. She keeps opening her mouth and licking her lips and than the drooling starts uncontrolable. This will last 5 hours or longer now and only happens when I take her out to walk.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/29/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

This could be caused by nausea (not sure what is triggering the nausea on walks, but drooling and licking are symptoms). I would ask your vet about trying Prilosec 20mg once a day and see if that helps. If that does not help, try Cerenia oral tablets (from your vet) an hour before a walk. If those do not help, then it is probably not nausea and it may be some sort of anxiety. In that case, I recommend having your vet prescribe Xanax to give an hour before walks and see if that helps.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Luna. How is everything going?
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian