Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

It started with what i thought was a sore leg, but it's

Customer Question

it started with what i thought was a sore leg, but it's advanced to him arching his back, shivering and acting disoriented. I think it may be kidney related as he wasn't injured in any way. He is 10 years old.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: He has suffered from seizures his whole life and he seems thin. It's all come on rather quickly.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Most likely your guy has suffered an injury to a disc in his back. This is very common in older dogs because of their conformation. Since he does not have any digestive issues, this is the most likely cause for his pain which is seen by the shivering and the arched back. I am not sure about the disorientation that you describe but this could come along with this condition that involves the neurologic system. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, he will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This can happen when he jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way. The best thing you can do for now as long as your guy is eating, is to give him aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing his pain and start to stabilize this disc. Do not allow him to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize. It is best to have your vet examine him to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate. There may be a component of this that may involve the kidneys and/or liver that could cause this disorientation along with this unstable disc.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you. the aspirin seems to be working.

Excellent! Keep up the good work and see how your guy does....