Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog suffered Stress/Anesthesia induced Hyperthermia and I

Customer Question
was wonder what the correct...
My dog suffered Stress/Anesthesia induced Hyperthermia and I was wonder what the correct Protocol would be for a dog who presented Anxious/stressed and was running a slight fever before he was Anesthetized. Should he have been Anesthetized? Or given meds to relax him before?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jasper 8 (Greyhound)
JA: How old is Jasper?
Customer: 8
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jasper?
Customer: He already suffered from Heat Exhaustion 5 years ago(they treated him for that)
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/29/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Ola Barrett,
 replied 1 year ago
Ola Barrett

Hello, I am Dr RB and I am a small animal veterinarian. Typically, I delay anesthesia when patients are stressed with or without fever due to complications that can occur once anesthesia is in place. Greyhounds are typically tricky because that have such a high metabolic rate that they run warmer and may be normal for them and not for another dog. It depends on breed, age and severity of hyperthermia. Normal temperature in a dog should be 100-103.5 degrees..The upper range of which I would not apply gas anesthesia. Not all veterinarians adopt a three way anesthetic protocol including a "pre-medication" injection given intramuscularly to relieve anxiety and provide analgesia, then an IV anesthetic to induce unconsciousness and is maintained on gas anesthesia. Fluids given intravenously before surgery would also cool temperature and during surgery would maintain normal temperature. Anesthesia typically makes body temperature decline but, in some cases, hyperthermia can occur with stress, increased metabolism of anesthesia (and not being fully "under), increased respiration (producing increased CO2) and other factors. I would make sure in the future that Jasper is given enough time prior to anesthesia to relax, be given an injection 15-30 minutes prior to surgery to help him relax and be placed on intravenous fluids 1-2 hours before his surgery until 1-2 hours after his surgery.

I hope this advice is helpful to you. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. If you are happy with my response, please take the time to give my answer a positive rating today;)

Dog Veterinarian: Ola Barrett,
 replied 1 year ago

Hello:) I was just checking in to see if I had answered your question about Jasper and anesthesia induced hyperthermia? Let me know if you have additional questions. If you are satisfied with my response, please take the time to rate my response positively;)

Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett