Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My shorkie has been vommiting a small amount of liquid 2-3…

Customer Question
Hi! My shorkie has been...
Hi! My shorkie has been vommiting a small amount of white liquid 2-3 times for the last 2 days. We did just switch his food over the last 7 days. Why would this be happening? I've only noticed it in the mornings
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/29/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Did you change his diet over slowly or was it a quick switch between them?

Any changes to his thirst? Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Has he had any diarrhea?

Hi again,

I have not heard back from you about Rocky, so I do want to leave my thoughts for your return.

With his signs arising around this diet change, there is a risk that the two are related. As well, with the morning vomiting, this could be a bile reflux issue that is perhaps being appreciated now if the new diet is easier to digest and perhaps spending less time digesting in the gut. That said, we have to be aware that this could be a red herring and that instead a brewing bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, or general dietary indiscretion is present.

In either case, as long as he can keep water down and the vomiting is mild, we can consider some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, you can consider treating him with an antacid. And since his vomiting has been restricted to the morning, consider trying this just before bedtime. In regards ***** ***** pet safe options, we can use Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet) for Rocky. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Otherwise, further to using the antacid at bed time, we can also consider making sure that we are giving a bedtime snack. For this, you could give a treat or even a small meal of his new diet. Alternatively, you can also consider giving his stomach a break for the next few days by offering a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the GI upset we are seeing but given the recent diet change and vomiting in the morning, we'd be most wary that the two are related. Therefore, in his case, we’d want to start supportive care to settle his stomach. Of course, if he doesn't settle; then we'd want to have a check with his vet to just assess his hydration, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there and rule out those other concerns. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach, and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Hi Shawn,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Rocky. How is everything going?
nekovet