Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Her urine is bright yellow. She does not act sick in any…

Customer Question
Her urine is bright...

Her urine is bright yellow. She does not act sick in any way, but she was vomiting and I gave her a rice and chicken diet and she is doing well now. Just concerned about the color of the urine.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Not that I am aware of. She is a shi-tuz /bishon mix. Pretty much a house dog.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/29/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How old is your dog?

2- How long has it been since she was vomiting?

3- Any other symptoms?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Friend, urine color is largely determined by the hydration of the dog. For example, if the dog is not drinking much the kidneys will conserve water and the urine will be more yellow than a dog that is drinking lots of water.

There are medical disorders like increases in bilirubin in the blood that will also cause the urine to be more yellow. In this case, if she was vomiting it is likely that she was dehydrated and for this reason the urine is more yellow than usual. If she is currently drinking as usual, not vomiting and the urine continues to be bright yellow I would have her checked by family veterinarian to make certain this is not related to increases in bilirubin.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Hi Barbara,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter