Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My akc dachshund is a mini, she is having her 2nd heat, it…

Customer Question
My akc dachshund is...

My akc dachshund is a mini, she is having her 2nd heat, it started about a week ago and she is still bleeding. It is not a lot of blood but red still.. She is very swollen. this evening she was laying in her bed and she started yelling like she was in severe pain. when I hold her, she is fine, but she has screamed a couple times like someone has stepped on her.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/29/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Dachshund. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

How old is she? Is this second heat coming 6 months after the first?

Dogs usually have a bloody discharge for 3 weeks when they go into heat, so it is not unusual for her to be having a red discharge after a week. That would actually be normal, and would continue for a couple weeks more.

Is she eating and drinking normally? Is she normally active, and moving about normally? The first thing we always worry about when a Dachshund screams in pain for no apparent reason is back or neck pain from an inflamed disc in the spine.

I just did some research, and found a number of references to dogs that seem to have back pain or joint pain when they go into heat, but the reason is unknown. I would have her checked out by your veterinarian and if she seems healthy and this seems to be a normal heat cycle, giving her pain or anti inflammatory medication may help.

Let me know what else I can answer or help with, and let me know how she is doing. Rebecca

I hope you were able to see what I wrote! Can I answer anything else?

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian