Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My bishop just swallowed a compatible pill

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/29/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- What is the active ingredient?

2- How long since he swallowed it?

3- How much does he weigh?

4- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

15 minutes ago he swallowed 10 mg of prochlorperazine. He weighs 14 lbs I just gave him hydrogen peroxide and he threw up alot

Did you see the pill in the vomit?

I saw the vomit but I did not see the pill a lot of bits of dog food and a greenie treat some fo***** *****quid but no whole pill

Did he take the pill before or after eating?

He swallowed it after eating. I dropped it on the floor as I was about to give the pill to my sister who is going through chemo for cancer and is very nauseous. He thought it was a treat.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

I did not see a pill in the vomit I went through all of it. I don't know if it would have dised in 15inutes. Immediate after I put my finger down his throat but he did not vomit. The peroxide did make him vomit almost immediately.
Make that "dissolved in 15 minutes"

Friend, the recommended therapeutic dose of Prochlorperazine in dogs is between 0.5-1mg/kg orally every 8-12 hours. Your dog based on his weight took a dose of 1.5mg/kg, I don't believe this will be fatal or toxic for your dog. It is also very possible that the pill could have dissolved within the food and you didn't see it.

I would recommend you keep an eye on him for the next 24 hours. If he becomes lethargic, sedated to the point where he is having difficulty walking, tremors, changes in respiration, etc. have him checked by ER veterinarian, if no symptoms after 24 hours unlikely for symptoms to develop.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian