Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Vomiting and diarrhea days, Can drink some water but does…

Customer Question
Vomiting and diarrhea for...

Vomiting and diarrhea for 3 days

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Can drink some water but does not eat, she has a tendency to get in my neighbors compost pile too but has never been this sick before! She is a 14 yo mixed breed, she has been laying around

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/29/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Jess K, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr.Jess. I am so sorry to hear about your pup. Are you online to discuss her?

Great!

How many times a day would you say your pup is vomiting?

If you look at her gums, are they pink? Are they moist or tacky?

If you press on her belly, does she have pain?

Do you have a thermometer to take her temperature?

How is your energy level?

Energy level is low, she has vomited about x4 today but it has been all weekend too! Does not seem to be have belly pain! Just got her to drink a little water too!

Ok.

What about her gums? temperature?

How many hours since she last vomited?

It has been about 2 hours since last vomit, gums are still pink, just very sluggish

Ok. Give me a few moments to type here- don't want you to think I have left.

So if the vomiting and diarrhea have been going on for several days, I think it is best you get your dog into your vet when they open tomorrow morning. She is likely lethargic due to dehydration. Unfortunately with vomiting, it is hard to treat at home because oral treatments are just going to be vomited back up, and repeated vomiting is going to cause more dehydration. Your pup will need an injection of antivomiting medication and fluids under the skin or via an IV to rehydrate her. In the meantime, you should take up all food and water- even if she is drinking, it isn't going to rehydrate her if she is vomiting every few hours and anything she takes in orally right now is going to irritate her GI tract and could cause her to vomit again. Also, if she goes outside to potty take her on a leash so she can't eat grass. If she goes for 6 hours without vomiting, then you can start to offer a very small amount of water- usually a teaspoon per pound of body weight of pedialyte or water. If she goes for 12 hours without vomiting, then very small amounts of plain white rice and boiled chicken breast can be offered every few hours. Here is an article on vomiting: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=353Please let me knowif you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question.

Jess K
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian