Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

We took our golden retriever out walk at a lake today. Since

Customer Question

we took our golden retriever out for a walk at a lake today. Since we have been hope, he ate all his food but has thrown up 3 or 4 times. He is not wanting to take any ice or food now and keeps stretching and tilting his head. he was eating on sticks out there.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: he is not himself. he loves ice and didn't want to take it from me. he tilts his head funny and keep stretching forward.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How often has he vomited?

What color are his gums?

If you press into his abdomen from both sides, is he painful or uncomfortable?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he has vomited 3 or 4 times. his gums are pink. He doesn't seem to be in pain. He doesn't want to play and even though he loves ice, he didn't want any. He stretches forward when he stands up.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information. The stretching that you see is usually a symptom of some abdominal discomfort. Even if you aren't getting a big pain response on palpation, it can be there and be very localized. We will often see it with pancreatitis in dogs, which is consistent with his symptoms at this point, so that would be the first thing I would look for, but I would run some generalized blood work to look for other potential causes. The sticks themselves can cause a lot of GI discomfort. With a case like this, if the vomiting stops, and they are able to get comfortable and sleep, it should be safe to just monitor. But if the vomiting continues, he cannot get comfortable and sleep, he starts stretching more, develops more severe abdominal pain or has bloody stool; I would get him seen tonight by your nearest emergency vet. Some blood work and potential x-rays should be ran, but at the very least, he can get an injection for nausea and a pain injection. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John