Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is about 20lb. my veterinary prescribed amoxicillin…

Customer Question
My dog is about...

My dog is about 20lb . my veterinary prescribed amoxicillin 200 mg/28.5 clavulamic acid, but I can't find that combination of medicine in any of my local drug stores. I have amoxicillin 500 mg; it is safe to give him if I cut the pill in four; that will be 125mg twice a day

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your dog bleeding a lot?

No. the prescription is for upper respiratory infction

Veterinarian's Assistant: Phew. What is the dog's name?

Lucky

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucky?

He is 13 year old and probably he has some type of heart problem

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/29/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 13 years and I'd like to help with your question.

The human version of clavamox (amoxicillin and clavulamic acid) is called Augmentin. It is the same drug, but the ratio of ingredients is slightly different. You can give just the amoxicillin.... It is safe and a 20 pound dog can take 125-200mg every 12 hours. However, my concern is that is it not the same as the combination product. They have a different bacterial spectrum. I would recommend calling your veterinarian and asking him to rewrite you a prescription under the brand name Augmentin. If he does that then every pharmacy should have it.

I hope that helps, but if you have additional questions please let me know. If not, please rate my answer.

Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian