Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Can my dog take tramadol with having diabetes, she's in

Customer Question
pain can you help ??...
Can my dog take tramadol with having diabetes, she's in pain can you help ??
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/28/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for your dog.

Tramadol can be given to diabetic dogs; there wouldn't be any contraindications to doing so. There's quite a wide range of dosages with this drug but I'd start with 1-2 mg/kg twice daily although it can be given up to 4 times a day, if necessary.

Most dogs tolerate Tramadol very well but reported side effects include: excessive sedation, agitation, anxiety, tremor, dizziness or GI effects such as inappetence, vomiting, constipation to diarrhea.

I should point out that it would be illegal for me to suggest the use of a drug which had been prescribed for another patient (human or canine) but I can provide the dosage which is what I have done.

I hope this helps. Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian