Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a one year poodle puppy. She is lethargic and has…

Customer Question
I have a one year...
I have a one year poodle puppy. She is lethargic and has thrown up one time in the last 6 hours. Is there something I can give her that will help now.
Sharon
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/28/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question Sharon. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any diarrhea?

2- How much does she weigh?

3- Any other symptoms?

No diarrhea, 13 pounds and she lethargic for her. Sh is normally crazy with activity, she is only a year old

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, vomiting and lethargy can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If she continues to vomit or lethargic after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian