Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 7lb Pom ate 1 rasin should I take m in to the vet? No,

Customer Question
My 7lb Pom ate...

My 7lb Pom ate 1 rasin should I take him in to the vet?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

No, he's 7 lbs Pom, and he ate 1 raisin.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/28/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Since the toxicity risk of raisins varies by case and can lead to kidney failure, it is best to address this urgently. If he has just had this, you could take him to the vet so they can induce vomiting there. Otherwise, if there is any delay here, you can try to induce vomiting at home by administering 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then again you'd need to consider seeing your local vet so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

Overall, since the toxin in raisins isn't actually known and there is no set "risk dose", we always need to be proactive in these cases. So, we do either need to induce vomiting now or have him to the vet urgently so they can do so to get this back and avoid any harm to his kidneys.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet