Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My name is ***** ***** my dog was digging at some bricks in…

Customer Question
My name is *****...

My name is ***** ***** my dog was digging at some bricks in the yard and separated one of his nails completely in half. It was full of dirt so cleaned it out completely you can see the pink nail bed I put antibiotic ointment between the nail and the bed and wrapped his paw anything else I should do and is there anything I can give him to help him relax

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

He's an 80lbs lab pit mix 9 yrs old

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/28/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear your dog tore his nail. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

You did all you can at home by cleaning it and applying the antibiotic ointment. I will use a local anesthetic to remove any piece of nail that is loose or dangling, and start pain medication. Do you have any pain medication previously prescribed for him?

You could try aspirin for pain, but aspirin thins the blood and could cause the nail to start bleeding again.

Keep it clean, keep putting the antibiotic ointment on. If it is painful, have your veterinarian decide whether to remove part or all of the nail and to get you some pain medication.

Let me know how he is doing and what else I can answer.

I hope you were able to see my answer! Let me know how he is doing and what else I can help with or answer.