Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 9 year old great dane female is making girling sounds…

Customer Question
My 9 year old...

My 9 year old great dane female is making girling sounds like she has too much saliva in her mouth and her left eye had gunk in it. I took her to my vet and she did an eye test and her left eye was not producing liquid. She gave her a Zpak and eye ointment and said I'll see you in three 3. This has been going on for a while. I swear it's her sinuses but she said we'll try this first. Over the last few days she has had snotty bloody coming out of her left nostril the same side her eye was gunky which the Dr said may be a clogged tear duct. This morning her left nostril was shedding more watery blood what is going on?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do with the drooling. What is the dog's name?

Back in Sept all blood work was normal and she is on thyrod meds has been for a few years.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sept?

She is eating normally and not vomiting

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/28/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It is suspitious that the discharge is coming only from the left nostril where the eye is having issues. This could be caused by a sinus infection or something inside the left nasal cavity. This would require an xray/Ultrasound to diagnose this condition. Since your gal has not responded to the antibiotics, it is time to take your gal to a specialist that can perform these diagnostics that will determine the actual cause and then she can be treated correctly. Until this is done, your vet is treating without any facts to support the treatment.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Ive been saying the same thing it's only on the left side. This was the second visit with her to my vet the first time he gave me drops with pred which didn't work on the gunk in the eye. I kept saying it appears to be a sinus infection or something can I give her anything for allergies to relieve the stuffiness and they said benedryl so I've tried that and that gives her a little relief to sleep but she is restless licking her nose constantly. This time the Zpak which should have taken care of the sinus infection if there were one and for a day or two it seemed to be ok after she was finished we saw a bloody sneeze and thought oh it's breaking up but now it's more watery blood then usual. I'll make an appointment with our emergency vet Northstar, they are not my normal vets but they are great over there for emergency care. I don't want to wait another week with her. thanks again, anything else you want to add please do, thanks Linda

Hi Linda. Sinus infections are very difficult to treat even with strong antibiotics so the fact that the Zpack did not resolve this, does not mean that this is not a sinus infection. These infections often need to be flushed and drained in order to resolve this. The discharge from your gal's eye could indicate a problem with the facial nerve caused by a an injury. The fact that there is only discharge from one nostril tells us that this nostril and left nasal cavity must be examined thoroughly to determine the cause. Linda, this may require a specialist with the right equipment.