Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My name is ***** ***** and I was looking into broken dew…

Customer Question
My name is *****...

My name is ***** ***** and I was looking into broken dew claws information because my husband and I noticed tonight our dog's dew claw is broken near the middle.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

It looks like it was bleeding at one point but I can't tell if it is near the quick or not. She has the broken part hanging off and to the side. She is a german shepherd and the nail is all black so it's hard for me tell.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/28/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that your girl has a broken dewclaw nail. If the nail is broken near the middle then it is likely the quick is affected and if you see blood then it definitely is.
Once that happens it is painful, as every time she hits the loose nail that places sharp pressure on her quick, and it won't re-adhere. The loose nail piece needs to be removed. If we don't remove it she will lick, because it hurts, which introduces bacteria into the raw quick, and the quick will be traumatized by the loose nail, both of which can lead to a painful secondary infection in the nailbed.
Although certainly not an emergency ideally she would see her veterinarian as soon as possible to have the nail removed before the quick gets infected.

If she is licking it is best to place an elizabethan collar on her so she cannot further traumatize the nail bed.
Best of luck with your girl and please let me know if you have any further questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful please remember to rate my response positively so I may receive credit for my work thank you, ***** *****