Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 5-6 year old yorkie mix she started losing energy n…

Customer Question
I have a 5-6 year...
I have a 5-6 year old yorkie mix she started losing energy n weight the last two days and is now coughing or sneezing blood. What should i do???
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/28/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Mollie. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. These symptoms Mollie has been exhibiting the past little while are definitely a concern. As you can probably appreciate, there are a number of possible causes for Mollie's symptoms including anything from a nasal or nasopharyngeal foreign body or polyp, to a tooth root abcess and bad dental disease, to a nasal infection (bacterial or fungal) or even a tumor (although less likely given Mollie's age. The combination of decreased energy, now alongside the sneezing and coughing of blood is definitely a worry, and could even signal a toxicity. Hopefully there isn't anything around your yard or home that Mollie could have gotten in to over the past few days.

If Mollie is coughing and sneezing up a lot of blood, then this really is an emergency and enough reason to go and get your girl seen at your local ER vet right away. Hopefully she is eating and drinking as per normal, and please continue to encourage her to drink plenty of water. Feed as per normal as weel, and if possible, feed her a moist diet to help her overall dietary water intake.

You are definitely going to need to get Mollie seen by your regular vet tomorrow or Monday at the very latest. If these symptoms continue or if her condition deteriorates over night, then you may need to get her to your local after hours or ER vet. There isn't a lot else you can do from home for now, but you will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on her. In particular, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

As above, if your girl is sneezing and coughing a lot of blood, if she seems very lethargic, or if she won't eat or drink, you really are best of playing it safe and getting her seen now. Here the ER vet can do a full physical exam, a blood test including clotting profile, and perhaps even some diagnostics on her oro-nasal cavity to look for a cause of the bleeding. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Hi again,

How did you get on with Mollie over night? Hopefully all was ok and you have been able to get her seen by a local vet this morning. Please just let me know if you have any further questions regarding your girl or any diagnosis that is made.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian