Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My shitzu has a lump on its chest,my vet wants toremove and…

Customer Question
My shitzu has a lump...
My shitzu has a lump on its chest,my vet wants toremove and biopsie it.Is this the best course of action?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/28/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear Cricket has this lump. I definitely would push to have this lump aspirated or poked with a needle first and foremost. This can help determine if the lump is benign or malignant and may help you avoid surgery. If, for example, the lump simply contains fat cells then it is benign and doesn't require removal but if it does contain abnormal cells then it should be removed to 1.) Determine whether it is cancerous and what line (some simply need resection to be resolved), 2.) If there are clean margins and the risk for relapse is low

But I would absolutely push to have it aspirated first and foremost before surgery and if necessary a biopsy would be the next step.

Please let me know how else I can assist you both tonight!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!