Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a teacup chihuahua she seems warm to the touch and is…

Customer Question
Hi I have a teacup...
Hi I have a teacup chihuahua she seems warm to the touch and is abnormally active thus evening but seems to be panting a lot
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/28/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did she get into anything?

2- What is she doing being active?

3- Can you take her rectal temperature?

Not to my knowledge
Can't take temperature
Running around from room to room panting and shaking

1- Any pre existing medical conditions?

2- Any other symptoms?

3- Is she currently on any medications?

No never had any problems
No medications
No other symptoms some wining which she rarely does

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, the symptoms that you are describing in your dog are consistent with being in pain. As far as the source of pain this could be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas), ingestion of a foreign body, neuromuscular (pinched nerve along the back or a pulled muscle), etc. to name a few causes.

Unfortunately in this case we are very limited as to what you can do at home. I would have her checked tonight by ER veterinarian. Do not give over the counter pain killers most are toxic to dogs.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mandy. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian