Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 13 yr. old diabetic dog who I have to give insulin…

Customer Question
I have a 13 yr...
I have a 13 yr. old diabetic dog who I have to give insulin shots to.
She also has petite mal seizures. My vetrinarian prescribed 10units of insulin
after each of her meals. My dilemma now is that he had prescribed that when she
weighed 5 lbs. more than she does now, and I am concerned that this is too much
to give her, and his office is closed.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/27/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 2 years ago
Drhollowayvet

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H for short.

I undestand you have concerns that the previous insulin dosage may be too much for your pets new weight. I can help you with the calculations to see what appropriate dosage Jaimee should be on based on her previous one that managed her diabetes well.

I do need three pieces of information from you however to help you out here:

1) What was Jaimee's previous weight?

2) What is Jamee's current weight?

3) What is the brand of insulin that she is on and the concentration?

Dr. H

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian