Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

Have a 9 year old neutered chocolate lab. Has been under

Customer Question

Have a 9 year old neutered chocolate lab. Has been under care of others for some time while I deal with health issues. The dog is showing many behavioral issues, not happy, anxious, I let him have run of the house and he is now afraid to do almost anything with being told. I have him laying on couch with head in my lap like he has for years. Has very rapid breathing in stomach and is overall very anxious.
I must return him to temporary care whuile I recover, he is to old to train or discipline. I just want him to be happy and live his life out to what he has know for last 8 years. What are possible causes in behavior change? He is very polite and very much not himself.
Should I be looking for another gentler watch person? This dog is the most important thing in my life
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so incredibly sorry that your beloved friend has had such a change in personality. I do wonder if something happened in their care that has changed his temperament so drastically and would consider an alternative if there is any possibility. If there is a home that will be able to offer ample exercise with leash walks 45+ minutes daily to reduce the buildup of energy which is affecting him negatively this can be of tremendous help. Not just running on acreage or in a back yard but structured exercise

In addition, it might be worthwhile considering some anti anxiety medications until he is in a more stable home and back with you where you can provide him the care and consistency he sounds like he needs. Alprazolam (xanax) or Fluoxetine would be options that can help reduce the fear and negative energy he is experiencing on a temporary basis and aid in his mind moving forward from whatever happened in the past

So my recommendations would be to consider a new structured home where he can have regular consistent exercise, if possible another well rounded dog to feed off healthier energy, medications for anxiety if necessary, and a veterinary exam to ensure there is no medical cause that is being missed we are relating to the change in households...

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today, I truly hope you are able to get your best friend back. I am sure it causes you quite a bit of anxiety too to see him this way!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!