Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Ear infection, i washed it with Iodine on the advice of a…

Customer Question
ear infection, i washed...

ear infection, i washed it with Iodine on the advice of a friend now he seems to be in a lot of discomfert, i gave him 150 mg tradol .\, not working

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

Bruno, germin shep, 7 years old, cronic ear infection

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bruno?

No he is in good shap oterwise

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/27/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Bruno.

I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.
Thank you.

he has a bad smelling ear infection that wont go away, we ahvve trid many things including a vet with no good results

Oh, no. This sounds really frustrating. I want you to know you're not alone. Bad ear infections are a really common problem, and the most serious ones often require multiple trips to the vet, a variety of medications, and some even require surgery to solve.

Is your dog still able to hear out of this ear?

he can hear, is iodine a possible solution ? he is in a good deal of pain

Iodine, contrary to the advice you received from your friend, is not a good idea. If Bruno's eardrum gets a hole in it (or it may already have one) it can result in permanent hearing loss. I'm afraid it's not safe to use.

Since Bruno is in a good deal of pain, the best recommendation I can make is to get him back into the care of a veterinarian. I can help you with things to look for to know if you're working with a good vet who's going to be able to help him.

Additionally, I want you to know that even simple, uncomplicated, non-painful ear infections are difficult to manage and cannot be treated successfully with home remedies. You are going to need prescription medications and to work with a veterinarian - perhaps over a month or more - to get this under control.

(typing more)

Please start by reading this article. It gives an overview of what is necessary to treat an ear infection in a dog. As I mentioned above, the more complicated cases can even require surgery. Also, nearly every case of otitis (ear infection) in a dog has some type of underlying problem that causes the ear infection to come back. This can be a food reaction, allergy, or other problem. That means you'll also have to address that problem in order to solve Bruno's problem.

Once again, that means having an ongoing relationship with a vet who is directing his treatment.

I know you had one bad experience already, but rest assured his problem can be solved if you stick with the plan, working with a good vet.

I wish I had better news for you and I wish there was some kind of treatment you could carry out at home that will solve Bruno's problem, but unfortunately, that is not the case.

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Thank You very much

Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.

If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.

If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.

Thank you for using our website.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Jo