Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 11 year old German shepherd that has diarrhea. I

Customer Question
I have a 11 year...
I have a 11 year old German shepherd that has diarrhea. I put her on a 18 hour fast, then gave her boiled chicken & white rice. She still has slimy diarrhea. I am wondering if she needs grain free diet.
Thank you
Marian Durk
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/27/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Ola Barrett,
 replied 1 year ago
Ola Barrett

Hello, I am Dr. RB and I am a small animal veterinarian. Diarrhea can occur for multiple reasons..the top reasons for this however, is a imbalance of "good intestinal bacteria" and/or intestinal parasitism (such as roundworms, hookworms, whipworms). Is Caja taking a monthly preventative to protect her against intestinal parasites? If not, and diarrhea continues or worsens, her stool may need to be examined by your veterinarian microscopically to rule this out. Regardless, the chicken and rice diet is a good idea and I believe you should keep her on this diet until her stools return to normal. Also, encourage her drinking more water to compensate for the water loss she is experiencing in the diarrhea. You can mix in a small amount of electrolytes (such as Pedialyte) to her water to aid in this. Also, you can add in some pro-biotics; the easiest route being a 1/4-1/2 cup of plain and sugar free yogurt containing an active culture (such as Activia) twice daily. If stools do not firm up in next couple of days OR if her attittude suddenly worsens (becomes lethargic, appetite takes a sudden decline, etc), it would be best to make an appointment with her regular veterinarian to help clear this up.

I hope this advice is helpful to you! However, let me me know if you need any clarification on anything. If my response was helpful, please take the time to rate my answer today. Let me know if I can help further with this:)

Dog Veterinarian: Ola Barrett,
 replied 1 year ago

Hello, I am just checking in to see how your German Shepard is doing with his diarrhea? Let me know if you have other questions. If my advice helped you, please take the time to rate my response so I can receive credit for my professional time assisting you and your pet?

Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett