Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 17 year old husky has an ear flap that is full of liquid…

Customer Question
my 17 year old husky...
my 17 year old husky has an ear flap that is full of liquid and now it seems the other is filling up. How can I treat it? what is it?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/27/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Thank you,

Based on Max’s swollen ear flaps, our top suspicion here would be ear hematomas (due to rupture of the ear capillaries and free bleeding into the ear tissue). This often arises secondary to head shaking or ear scratching due to ear infection. Less common issues can be related to trauma, protein imbalances in the body or allergic reactions, but these are much less common in our dogs.

Now in regards ***** ***** and draining the ears, this isn’t something that should be done at home. The risk of introducing infection into the ears would be very high if we did. As well, it wouldn’t address the underlying problem with the ears itself.

Therefore, at this point (especially if both ears are affected), we’d really want to consider having Max seen by his local vet. They can assess the ears and start treatment to sort that for him. Otherwise, if the hematomas are very large, they can try draining them sterily with a needle and syringe. Though once they do, they will inject a special long acting steroid into the ear to counter associated inflammation and encourage this to settle. Of course, since these do have the risk of refilling, your vet may need to alternatively surgically drain this and then tack the tissues down to prevent the ear from refilling now (and in the future).

Overall, if we have ear flap based swellings, then they are likely blood filled hematomas. Therefore, we don’t want to drain these at home for fear of continued bleeding and risk of introducing infection. Instead, we’d really want to have him seen so that the underlying trigger is addressed but also to have this ear drained and treated with steroids or drained and tackled to prevent future refilling here.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )