Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog's neck is swollen. It is asysmetrical. I noticed it 3…

Customer Question
My dog's neck is swollen...
My dog's neck is swollen. It is asysmetrical. I noticed it 3 days ago. Then it was the size of a golf ball. Now it is the size of a tennis ball. It didn't cause her any pain at first but now does. She is lathargic and not eating her food, only treats. She is drinking water. Her breathing is a bit irregular.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/27/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Is this golf ball type lump hard, soft, firm, or fluidy?

Is it to one side of the jaw?

Any wounds or risks of snake bite?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?
Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian