Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I also accidently my cut a dog with scissors. It's not

Customer Question
bleeding, but it's def a...
I also accidently my cut a dog with scissors. It's not bleeding, but it's def a skin tear, a bigger one. I rinsed it with salt water and applied polysporin. Does the dog need a tetnus shot, and if so and I don't know if he has had one should he have another? He also keeps licking it, with that make it infected?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/27/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello and welcome, I am Dr B and would like to help you today.

First, we don't actually vaccinate dogs for tetanus. So he won't have been vaccinated for this before

So if think those scissors were rusty, he'd need to see his vet for tetanus antitoxin. That said, tetanus is quite rare in dogs. Usually we can treat these as you are, though if it's gaping or large then we'd want his vet to stitch or staple the wound to align the edges so it can heal. Otherwise is he is licking the wound, you need to block his access to this. So he needs an ecollar from your local per store or you can a T-shirt or boxer shorts to cover the area and prevent him spreading bacteria in his saliva onto the wound. And finally, If he has been kicking, then we'd ideally want his local vet to cover him with antibiotics and dog safe pain relief at this stage.

Take care,

Dr. B

Hi***@******.***,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Tommy Tango. How is everything going?
nekovet