Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My Year old Red Nosed Pit had 11 puppies almost 7 weeks ago.

Customer Question

My Year old Red Nosed Pit had 11 puppies almost 7 weeks ago. And the last few weeks we have noticed her dripping blood still around the house, and I have done a little research and have seen I guess that is normal but I am starting to worry with it being 7 weeks and now tonight instead of light red it has gotten a good bit darker red in the blood, Is this serious or something that will go away.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

If Gemma had her pups seven weeks ago, then we are still within a normal time frame for uterine discharging post-delivery. In fact, we don't tend to worry unless it is >8 weeks without signs of settled. The only caveats to this is that if she is passing more then before, appears unwell (has pale gums, weakness, breathing changes) or if the discharge has an odor (since that is a sign of infection we'd need addressed). So, if you are just seeing blood (light or dark isn't a worry since one is with mucus and one isn't) but its not more than it has been, she is normal and there is no odor; then we'd keep monitoring for the next week or so. But if those signs appear or this isn't settled by week eight, then we'd want to plan to have a check with her local vet.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )