Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 2 year old miniature schnauzer just swallowed a piece of

Customer Question

My 2 year old miniature schnauzer just swallowed a piece of hard plastic....a piece from the top off of a plastic soft drink bottle....I would say at least 1/2 to 3/4 inches...
He is currently not showing any signs of discomfort...what should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Since this just occurred and there are no sharp edges to the plastic from the cap of the bottle I would advise inducing vomiting. This is a high risk for foreign body obstruction in a small breed dog as yours.

You can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting. If no vomiting with the second dose please consider a veterinary er to give stronger medications to achieve emesis.

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I am online another 15 minutes to assist you

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!