Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have the same problem. She got a little less than 1/2 of a…

Customer Question
I have the same problem...
I have the same problem. She got a little less than 1/2 of a pill. We tried hydrogen peroxide and a long walk. No vomit. She's just very awake (she's usually fast asleep right now) and running all over and very thirsty.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/27/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. How long ago did this happen { Minutes or hours ago } ?

2. How much does your dog weigh { In pounds } ?

3. What is the name of this drug and what is it's strength { In mg } ?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

Thanks for the photos, very useful, I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. The only ingredient to worry about here is the caffeine which could cause toxicity problems to a small pup like yours.

2. Inducing vomiting was the right approach in this sort of situation, if you are not successful the first time then you can try again a second time, you still have time to try this. For the sake of speed I will give you a link so you can double check on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

3. However if you fail to induce vomiting then all you can do is to monitor your pup and if any more serious symptoms occur then you should have her checked over by an ER vet without delay. In your case expected side effects { From the caffeine } would include vomiting, diarrhoea, hyperactivity, restlessness, muscle twitches, increased urination and excessive panting. There is no antidote to caffeine poisoning in the dog but if symptoms develop then they would be treated symptomatically for example drugs to slow down the heart but this is something you could not do on a home treatment basis.

4. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your pup's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Ok thank you!

No problem, very glad to have advised you ...

My experience with these fat burner type tablets is that some dogs show few symptoms but others are affected by the caffeine component, but keep a very good eye on your pup whatever happens and please get back to me at once if I can advise you further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

she doesn't seem to be getting worse. Just still very awake and very hyperactive. How long does it normally take for caffeine to work through their system?

Hello again,

That's very encouraging, the chances are she will not get any worse qiven the time scale so far ...

It will normally take 12 to 18 hours for the caffeine to clear completely though ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the fat burner pill ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

About 3 hours ago she finally fell asleep... And so did I. Lol. She seems back to her normal self. I really appreciate your help!

Hi ,

Great news! I am so glad. It is first thing in the morning where I am I was wondering how she was getting on, she should be just fine now ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers

Hello again,

Of course I am very glad to have advised you and even more glad that your dog has been unaffected by his experience. However I wonder if you could possible do me a favour and rate my service to you on the site? This really helps my standing in the Just Answer community.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Things seem fine. No lasting effects. And I'm "baby" proofing everything :) Thanks for following up!

.