Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dew claw pulled completely out. No longer bleeding, put

Customer Question
Dew claw pulled completely...

Dew claw pulled completely out. No longer bleeding, put antibiotic cream on a pad and wrapped the foot. Gave her (she weighs right at 95#) 325 mg Ecotrin. It is fairly swollen. Should i do anything else? Short of emergency vet

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

What more details

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/27/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both toady!

I am so sorry to hear that your dog has this injury!

From what you have described I think you are doing everything right. The most important thing is to not allow licking which keeping it wrapped will help prevent. This is critical as the mouth is full of bacteria and will introduce an infection where there is none

As long as it is not actively bleeding and you are able to place a sock or bandage on the foot you should be alright until tomorrow when your veterinarian can see you both.

If needed to allow her to rest, you can also give benadryl 1 mg per pound every 6-8 hours to help with the itchiness and desire to lick. For her size this would be FOUR adult 25 mg tablets...

If she will allow you to, I would consider a cool compress to the area as well to help numb and aid in reducing swelling in ten minute intervals...

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, how is your dog's dewclaw? Is the swelling down? Was my information helpful?

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman