Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My name is faith and it's regarding my small dog, A few days…

Customer Question
My name is *****...

My name is ***** ***** it's regarding my small dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

A few days ago he has hurt his leg while he was out and about during his day time play time he gets every day, but it didn't bother him he still would use it but would just limp a little when he would walk. Well now after I got home from work I believe my bigger dog may have bit him or been to rough with him because he was covered in dog slobber and his ribs seem to hurt him. He's not wanting to move much and if I move him at all he whimpers. He can still walk and move but I can tell he's hurting some. Don't know if it's an emergency and if he may have broke bones or if he's just pulled something out of place or got roughed up by our bigger dog.. What do you think?? Emergency and broken, or does it sound like he is okay?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/27/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Faith, injuries are the most difficult disorder for me to evaluate in a long-distance fashion. To determine if an emergency situation exists, however, I need you to do a few things for me...

1) Check his gum and tongue color. They should be nicely pink - not whitish (anemia) or bluish/greyish (cyanosis/hypoxia/lack of oxygen to his tissues).

2) Check his respiratory rate at rest. He should be taking less than 40 breaths/minute at rest.

3) Take his rectal temperature. Any body thermometer will do when placed 1.5" into his rectum for 1 minute. Normal is 100.5-102.5F. This is a two person job!

Please let me know what you find.

Hi Faith,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?