Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 15 year pug was given a bath yesterday now he's has a…

Customer Question
my 15 year pug was...
my 15 year pug was given a bath yesterday now he's has a real bad cough he could have taken water in thu his nose
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/27/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

While it's certainly possible to inhale a bit of water up his nose, Rocko's age is far more worrisome for advanced cardiopulmonary disease causing his coughing. Dogs who can't lie down often have compromised lungfields. In other words, lying down collapses the lungs in contact with the ground and if his lungs are already not able to oxygenate his blood due to advanced heart or lung disease, Rocko will have even more trouble oxygenating his tissues. Rocko is a dog who needs to see his vet at your earliest convenience. His heart and lungs need to be auscultated (listened to) and X-rayed. Please don't hesitate in having him attended to. Time is of the essence in these cases.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian