Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Mydog just ate a cooked pork chop bone. What should I do?

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/26/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that your pup Lily ate a pork chop bone.When dogs eat pork bones it can be hard to tell whether symptoms are due to eating a rich, unusual food or whether this is related to a blockage and/or irritation from bones scraping and damaging her gastrointestinal tract.I do not recommend inducing vomiting in cases where dogs eat sharp objects like bones. The chances of tearing her esophagus or stomach as it contracts to force the bones out is much too high. I hope she at least chewed the bone thoroughly before she swallowed as that will make passage a little easier. It is nice that she is a big dog too, they tend to have less trouble simply because they have more room to pass foreign material.In this case we need to try and hope that we can get this bone to pass through her gastrointestinal tract. And that her stomach acid helps us by dissolving the fragments.I recommend starting with a vaseline sandwich. Take a slice of whole wheat bread, slather with vaseline as you would peanut butter on a slice of bread, cover with the second slice. Feed it to her bite sized piece by piece or she will make a huge vaseline mess. This adds fiber and hopefully makes the bones pieces slip rather than catch.For the next few days, until the bones pass and her stomach settles, she'll need to be fed a bland diet with lots of fiber added in small meals several times a day, 4 to 6 meals is ideal. We do this so the bone pieces are surrounded, the gut isn't irritated by contracting on just bone.A homemade diet for this is 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats drained off the meat, and 2/3 boiled, white rice. Add 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber.You'll need to continue checking her stools frequently for bone pieces in the next few days.Signs that things aren't going well, and she needs an immediate veterinary visit, are vomiting, a tense painful belly, lack of an appetite, a fever (more than 103.5F rectally) and severe lethargy.If you aren't seeing bone fragments in the next day or two a veterinary visit and an abdominal radiograph to see where the bones are located in her gastrointestinal tract is an option. If it doubt at all that things aren't going well it is always best to have her checked.Once the pieces are passed and she's feeling well then start mixing in her regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week to get her converted back to regular food.Let me know if you have any questions.
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian