Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Charlotte is a 17 week Golden retriever. About 2 days she…

Customer Question
Charlotte is a 17 week...
Charlotte is a 17 week Golden retriever. About 2 days she ate a used tampon. About 1 hour later she threw it up. But since then she has not been herself somewhat lethargic. She has the diarrhea and only eats or drinks a little amount. Not sure what to do.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/26/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any blood in the stool?

2- Any more vomiting after throwing up the tampon?

3- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

no blood on the stool
yes still vomiting
more pale

1- How many hours since the last time she vomited?

2- How much does she weigh?

she just vomited about 5 minutes ago about a half cup full of watery substance
15 lbs

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, I doubt the vomiting and diarrhea you are seeing now is related to the tampon she threw up 2 days ago, there is something else going on. It is possible she could have another foreign body causing the vomiting and diarrhea. Other possible causes are: Infections, intestinal parasites, etc. to name a few causes. Regardless of the cause if she has been vomiting and diarrhea for the last 2 days we really need to be concern about hydration. Unfortunately we are very limited as to what you can do at home. I would strongly recommend having her checked this morning by family veterinarian. They will start her on IV fluids, anti emetics, etc. In addition, they will do some testing to determine the exact cause for the vomiting and diarrhea. If she goes untreated this could be fatal. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 4-6 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 4-6 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination, supportive care, xrays, fecal analysis and blood work. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian