Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 25 pound dog just ate 4 Heartguard plus. What do I do?

Customer Question
My 25 pound dog...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Duffy is 1.5 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Are you ready to speak with the Veterinarian now?

Sure

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/26/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago?

What size/strength were the tablets

Hello again,

I have not heard back from you and as this is a time sensitive situation, I do want to leave my thoughts for your return.

Now the good news is that if this was the Hearguard treatment intended for 25lb dogs (not a larger dogs), then while this is an overdose for his intended dose, its not a dangerously high dose he has given himself. In fact, for the pyrantel portion of this product wouldn't cause toxicity at 4x the dose of his sized tablet. If anything, it could just induce mild signs like GI upset (drooling, appetite loss, vomiting, diarrhea), wobbliness, agitation and lethargy. Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** Ivermectin in this, studies done on the safety of this drug found that adverse signs weren't seen until they had had 10x the dose. So, if anything we could see those mild signs I noted here.

With that in mind, we have a few options. We can err on the side of caution by inducing vomiting or treating with activated charcoal. Otherwise, we can choose to monitor and treat any symptoms we may see. If you wished to err on the side of caution with either of those, do let me know and we can discuss how to do that. Otherwise, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, we can also treat with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. Ones we can use here include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, if these were 4 of his tablets that he has eaten, then toxicity risks here are low. Therefore, we can err on the side of caution or use the above supportive care while monitoring to keep his stomach settled.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )