Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Should older boxers get a companion

Customer Question
Should older boxers get a companion
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/26/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, this does depend completely on Mackie. If he is a dog that enjoys the company of other dogs, has no dominance/aggression issue with dogs, and has shared his home with a dog before; then a companion would be a nice option for him. Of course, we'd need to introduce him to any potential companions before bringing one home to ensure that they have a good chemistry and are going to get along with one another. That said, if Mackie is comfortable living on his own and especially if he isn't particularly keen on other dogs; then we'd be best keeping him on his own. Though if you aren't sure about whether he'd struggle with another dog in the house, consider setting up dog play dates with friends or even taking him to doggie day care. That way you can see how he feels about other dogs and this can help you make the best decision on whether a companion would be the something he'd take too or struggle with.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Hi Dick,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Mackie. How is everything going?
nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian